Sewer Backups

Sewer backing up into a home, business or in a yard can be caused by several situations.

The first step if you have sewer backing up in a building is to shut off all the water going into the sewer drains from the structure.  If the water goes down, this generally means there is an issue with your private sewer system.  It is best to call a local drain cleaning company or plumber.  This could be caused by something that went down the drain that got stuck, to tree roots in the sewer line or a collapsed sewer line.  Any situation where the sewer is dug up in the City of Okoboji, Wahpeton, West Okoboji, Orleans or County areas connected to the Sanitary Sewer must be inspected.  You can check this by looking at the Service Area Maps.

Second, if you stop the water in the structure from going down the drains and the water continues to rise.  You need to call one of the following numbers:

Monday through Friday 7:30 am to 4:00  pm Sanitary District 712-338-2626 ext 1

Outside of those hours or if you don't talk to anyone at the Sanitary District, call Dickinson County Dispatch at 712-336-2525.